The minimum hardware requirements for running the BioNumerics 7 application are the cumulative requirements needed to run the Operating System, the BioNumerics application, the optional Database Engine and any third-party software that will run concurrently (e.g. Microsoft Office). The typical minimum hardware requirements for a computer running Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2003 and the BioNumerics application are:
- Processor: 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) processor or higher
- Processor Type: Intel Pentium Dual Core or higher compatible processor
- Memory: 2 GB or higher (1 GB if the Database Engine feature will not be installed)
- Hard disk: 2 GB of free disk space (application files only)
- Display: WXGA (1280 x 800) or higher resolution monitor, True Color (32 bit)
- USB port: Depending on the license type a free USB port may be required
For standalone licenses, each computer that will run BioNumerics must have an available USB port for connecting the Sentinel hardware security key. For network licenses, the computer that will be running the NetKey+ server program must have a free USB port for attaching the hardware security key. Alternatively, a software protection key (Softlock) could be used. A 64-bit processor and Windows version are required for systems with more than 4 GB of RAM installed. The actual hardware requirements will largely depend on the features that will be used in BioNumerics, the database platform used to store the BioNumerics data and the size of the data. For example, the Power Assembler feature of the Sequence Types module requires a 64-bit processor and a minimum of 8 GB installed memory.
The recommended hardware configuration for a computer running the latest Windows and Office versions, and the BioNumerics 7 application are:
- Processor: 1.8 gigahertz (GHz) processor or higher
- Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor or higher compatible processor
- Memory: 4 GB or higher
- Hard disk: 2 GB of free disk space (application files only), fast hard drive for storing database files (e.g. 7200 RPM SATA drive)
- Display: WXGA+ (1440 x 900) or higher resolution monitor, True Color (32 bit), graphics card with dedicated video memory
When purchasing a new computer that will run BioNumerics, make sure that you choose a 64-bit Windows version to allow for future memory expansion. At least 4 GB of RAM should be installed when purchasing a new system. A recent graphics card with dedicated video memory is recommended. Choosing a basic Windows theme instead of a Windows 7 or Vista Aero theme may be required if the computer is not equipped with sufficient dedicated video memory. Some features of BioNumerics may require hardware specifications that exceed the above recommendations. For example, the Power Assembler feature of the Sequence Types module requires a 64-bit processor and a minimum of 8 GB installed memory and a fast storage system (SSD).